Friday, March 12, 2010

The Crust Stops Here

Pizza -- A food that needs no introduction.

Perfect at anytime of the day.  Practically gourmet with a bottle of cab.  Definitely craveable at 3am and possibly essential in warding off the lingering demons of last night's innocent overindulgence.

When I'm not making a 3am stop at Ben's or Artichoke, homemade pizza seems to fall on the menu for the end of the week.  The toppings are usually a grab bag of leftovers in my fridge -- and anticipating a late night rendezvous at a participating establishment over the impending weekend, I aim to keep it as guiltless as possible. 

I always buy whole wheat pizza dough.  It's also the last thing I buy at Whole Foods in Union Square since it's conveniently located right near the checkout.  A few weeks ago I was headed to the register about to grab the goods and I noticed they were all out.  I let out a sigh and (and an internal "wtf?!") but decided I was getting my panties in a twist for no reason.  Whole Foods does not run out of whole wheat pizza dough.  It's not possible.  There was definitely a back up stash.

Off to the pizza station I went and wailed to the girl working there that there was no more whole wheat dough on the shelf.  She shook her head and confirmed my suspicion.  I could tell she sympathized with me and was instantly given a sample of their pizza made with whole grain dough.  We did the obligatory "how do you like it?, it's great, right?" -- and she told me she actually prefers it.  It tasted good to me, so I grabbed my dough and headed for "The Line Ends Here" sign at the front of the store.

When I finally made it home, I put some pizzas together and the result was pretty awesome.  Pizza girl was right!  The whole grain dough was lighter, chewier, and crispier than my beloved whole wheat.  I'm officially a convert.

Pizza #1:  Tomato Sauce, Spinach, Roasted Red Peppers, Red Onion, Fresh Mozzarella
Pizza #2:  Goat Cheese, Spinach, Grape Tomatoes, Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Pizza #3:  Tomato Sauce, Basil, Kalamata Olives, Fresh Mozzarella

No comments:

Post a Comment