Monday, February 15, 2010

"Grain A"

Barley. This nutritional powerhouse is a winner when it comes to eating healthy — but you can’t help but wonder, can this fiber rich grain really taste good too? I’ve always been a fan of barley in my soups and salads, but it wasn’t until a few weeks ago on the Upper West Side that I went from fan to fanatic.

Whenever I’m on the Upper West I feel like I’m in another state. Whenever I “travel” I love to take advantage of the local shops and fare. In this case it was, Zabar’s. This NYC institution known for it’s cheese selection and fish counter is not a place I visit often, but one that I won’t pass up when I’m in the ‘hood.

One hour, 20 some odd cheese tastings (I bought six), 3 loaves of bread (including a kalamata olive ciabatta fresh from the oven - YUM) and a box of rainbow cookies later I knew I had to remove myself from the store immediately before I pulled the trigger on a $65 dollar bottle of black truffle infused olive oil I was eyeing.

As I shuffled through the crowded store I made my way past the prepared foods and allowed myself to have a quick look since I’m always looking for new ideas. Needless to say there were lots of things that looked very appetizing but I found myself drawn to the container simply marked “Barley Mushroom Ragu”.

As you can tell by the empty container, I bought it and devoured it. It was delicious. I didn’t want it to end. Alas it did and but wasn’t about to go back upstate to buy more. I had a look at the ingredients and took a crack at it myself, and voila!

Just like Zabar’s! Here’s the recipe I used:

1/2 c. pearled barley
1 3/4 c. chicken broth
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. cremini mushrooms
1/2 c. shiitake mushrooms
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp. chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1 tbsp. tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste (I recommend about a 1/2 tsp. of salt and 1/4 tsp. of pepper)

Combine all ingredients in a medium sized pot and simmer for 1 1/4 hours or until all of the liquid is absorbed. Serve hot or at room temperature.

This can be made an entree, (like a risotto!) or as a side dish. Each serving is packed with 8g of dietary fiber which lowers cholesterol and reduces the risk of heart disease.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment